Sunday, April 20, 2008

I Love You, a favorite book

As I was reading to Mollie before bed I was thinking I would share one of our favorite books. We have hundreds of books. Hundreds. Mostly b/c I saved all my books from my classroom and had gotten a ton for the girls before they were born and when Sydney was a baby. But anyway, here is a really cute book that your baby/toddler/preschooler will be able to read by themselves:
It's called I Love You and it's a rebus book. The text follows a pattern and has pictures to cue your child with what to say. My first experience with this book was in my class when I had a cute little girl named Michelle. Michelle is Hispanic and spoke little to no English. During that year we "found" an IEP and developmental evaluation that somehow didn't make it into her folder for a while. Turns out she had been diagnosed with Down Syndrome (which we suspected) and that she couldn't see! The Lion's club donated her eye care and our ESL teacher and Speech teacher (spoke Spanish) took her to get her glasses. She was like a different kid after she could see as you can imagine! Anyway, by the end of the year she was reading this book. She ended up repeating kindergarten to give her a chance to be successful as long as possible, but was transferred to another school so I'm not sure what happened after that year.
Great book! I had the paper back, but got it in a board book when Sydney was a baby. I've given it for gifts as well. Very cute.

0 comments: