Wednesday, October 1, 2008

new header, schools, mom, etc.

Like my new header picture? My Adobe trial that I keep trying...and trying...and trying...ran out;) I was impatient about waiting for Phil to reinstall something for me so I found this site called www.picnik.com. It's a free photo editor! I thought it was really cool just for simple stuff I like to do.

Today I went to visit my friend Daniele's classroom at my old school. The girls were at preschool. She taught next to me for my 5 years in Kindergarten. We started together as first year teachers and are still good friends. Anyway, I've been meaning to go hang out there more and really haven't. So I made today the day. And holy crap I kind of can't believe I used to do that. She is super woman. Really, one of the best teachers I've ever met. Her class is adorable, but after hanging out in suberbia for so long and in the preschool and the families I am surrounded by on a daily basis, well, it was humbling. (I'm not sure if that was a sentence, sorry). A lot of statistics are based on free and reduced lunch populations so that's what I'll use to base it on. That school is over 40%. This percentage is what they base Title 1 funds on which is a federally funded reading program. My reading job I had was just like Title 1, but funded through the county. There have a large ESL population also (English as a Second Language). It has always been this way, I just forgot. I forgot how you could have kids who speak NO English in the same room with these 2 little girls who are going to the library alone to take Accelerated Reader tests because they are so brilliant. Don't get me wrong, I loved it. And I loved the ESL kids. K is the best place to have them. They learn so fast! My 2nd year teaching I had 22 kids, a part time assistant, 8 ESL students and one white girl!
I swear some of the kids in her class this year are at a developmentally 3 year old level. So I think I'm going to go in most Wednesdays and volunteer during her literacy time so I can help with assessment or center while she does reading groups, etc. It will be fun. They were all so sweet!
A lot of schools around here, as in our end of Wake Co., are not Title 1 schools and probably have less than 30 or even 20% F&R. BUT, I said, I'm glad I taught here before anywhere else becuase it would be hard to have a job in this setting after being in a school with more parental involvement, higher level learners, etc. It would be hard to go back. And I really prefer to have a class of needy than a class of needy parents who are breathing down your neck all the time! Definitely made me miss it. Not that I think I could dedicate myself to working full time with little kids again all day AT ALL, but it helps me feel like I'm staying in the education loop.

Okay, my Mom has an apartment starting tomorrow. She's been living here since mid-June. She's very excited and the girls are a little confused about her moving out. But she'll be very close by! My Dad is coming up again this weekend to check it out and to celebrate his birthday on Sunday.

Our October is shaping up to be super busy! I think we already have something planed every weekend through the end of the month. Chase will be 1 on the 27th! I can't believe it!

2 comments:

Kim said...

LOVE the new header. I'm glad you mentioned it because I wasn't sure where I could comment on it!
And, I'm doing the "I'm not worthy" bow to you and all those who teach kids. I definitely don't have it in me.

Jen said...

"And I really prefer to have a class of needy than a class of needy parents who are breathing down your neck all the time!""

I am SURE!!! haha. I would, too! You know, if I had the patience at all to teach...