I send my kids to drop in child care.
I used to say, "Oh my gosh, who would do that?" "I would never send them to a place like that, you don't even KNOW them and they're watching your kids!" "gasp"
I'm really happy with it:) So I'm just telling everyone in case it might be something you'd like to do but are scared.
I started to look into this one in Apex after I heard about it from some other people around town. I had seen info about it and coupons in the Neighborhood Saver. It's called My Play Place.
When I decided to go back to work part time I was afraid to be left in the position of no care. Now, one of the reasons I did go back was b/c I wouldn't have to worry much about child care issues. If I do, it's not worth it to me. Phil drops off at preschool on M/W and I am there to pick up on time. On Fridays our regular babysitter Krystina takes Sydney to school, hangs out with Mollie, and picks Sydney back up. I get home right after they do.
But because I work only 3 days a week that means my kids who need help only get seen 3 days and week and if I'm out it's only 2 or 1! And that makes me feel guilty. I can't help it if my kids get sick, I took off when we went to Disney, etc. But I wanted to eliminate child care as one more obstacle that might make my services unreliable.
Oh, and sometimes I have to switch the days I work so like this week I didn't work Monday b/c it was a teacher work day. I don't have enough to plan for to sit there for 2.5 hours with no kids there and don't even have my own space. I share an office. So I worked today so that my kids would be seen 3 days this week instead of 2. Especially since we were on vacation last week.
I have lots of friends who are willing to help me out in a pinch, but I can't expect them to be available at the last minute and they may not have enough car seats! I've realized since having children that car seats cause all sorts of logistical issues, haha.
So because I feel like the girls are independent and old enough and can talk really well and are potty trained (these may have been reasons before as to not want to leave her with someone I didn't know as well), I took Sydney one day to My Play Place and we went for a visit. The owner is almost always there. In fact I've only taken them in the mornings and she always has been there so far. Along with another lady who has been consistent every week also. Karen. She's crazy;) Sydney loves her. They let me look all around, explained a lot of stuff, Sydney got to play, I just hung around and talked to the owner a little. Then I ended up filling out paper work and they told me where I could get some coupons.
They were so nice. I ended up buying a package of hours because it was so much cheaper that way and using a coupon for a 10% discount off a package. It works out to be $10 an hour for me total. They have been 4 times. I packed their lunches the first few times, but now Sydney likes to eat lunch there so I let them. I pay $3 and they get Papa Johns pizza. And they give them fruit. They have a few other options, but I never get past the pizza with Sydney.
Anyway, today I picked them up, they were happy, didn't want to leave, full of lunch and I didn't have to make them anything or clean it up when we got home. I have 21 hours left, they always give me the total when I check out. I feel more comfortable leaving them there than I do at the gym day care where there is a different worker there every day and I am actually in the building. I feel like there they just keep them alive for an hour, haha.
I have asked some friends to watch them still for appts. and such b/c I would rather them get to play with their friends if they can! But it sure if a good reliable back up plan if I need to use it.
On a side note though: Working 3 days a week, no matter what the hours, is trickier than I thought it would be. I don't miss my free time as much as the drive bothers me more now and the preparation for the day. It's about 20-25 min. to school. I think if my 20% was one day or 2-4 hour days it would be better. I enjoy my work with the kids.
I admit that I did like not working better:) I need to get closer to home next time!
11 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment