Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sydney is a kindergartener!

I am finally getting this post up! Shame on me!
Tuesday was Sydney's first day of school:) They do staggered entry for K here so they break the class into 3 or 4 groups of kids over the week to do all the assessments and routines and get to know them better on a smaller scale. Very helpful!
She loved it. LOVED it! And is annoyed that she doesn't go back until Monday. Since we're year-round she'll go for 5 more full weeks and then Aug. 14th she'll "track out" for 3 weeks and go back Sept. 8th.
The first thing she said when she got in the car at the end of the day was "a lady said (made an announcement) that if you're going to wear spagetti straps you have to wear a sweater". Haha! She cares more about the dress code than anything else.
We walked her in in the morning and the parking lot was insane. Totally insane. First day of school for the entire school that day. I filled out the emergency info. and she went about her business. Ms. Berentes, her teacher, showed her where to put her stuff in a cubby and she said goodbye without a care at all. We were out of there in less than 5 min. probably! She got to see her friend Andrew who is track 3 when they went in his room to meet the PE, music, and art teachers. They talked about having Spanish next week. She got to use the computers in her room which she's a pro at. I didn't get too much info. about any other kids, just a girl named Lovely. She loved eating in the cafeteria and said she wanted to just buy her lunch there. I explained to her that some of the things she may not like so that we could look at the menu each week and decide if she wanted to buy some days. She might want to just buy a milk carton with her lunch also she said. So I told her we'd put some money on her lunch acct. so she could do that. And she already knows her lunch and carpool number! At LP they make it the same number which is great! If you have older kids the # is always the same as the youngest child in the family's lunch number. Genius idea!

When I picked her up at carpool she looked so little next to the big school, but so big with her bookbag and lunch box! It was great. I didn't cry in the morning, but I teared up some in carpool. Crazy, I know. I think it finally hit me then. She can't wait till Monday and I guess I actually need to take her in that day also to drop off her school supplies.
She's the little person next to the green cone:)

3 comments:

Laura said...

So cute! It's about time you updated your blog. SLACKER. And you didn't even blog about the lake. Extra slack. What do you do all day again except go to Target??... ;)

Donovan said...

I still remember Laura's 1st day of Kindergarten! I hated she was old enough to go to school...the time just goes by toooo fast

Kelly said...

HAHA Laura! I did leave out the lake! It was uneventful:)