Monday, November 17, 2008

first day with the kids

Today was my first official day back at work that I got paid for:) Friday I took Mollie with me and got my class lists, a rough schedule set up and an idea of what to do this week. I had to get copies of all the literacy assessments to see what letters they know/don't know, print concept check lists, and phonics assessments. Mollie was really good, the secretary gave her 2 pieces of candy, and we said hello to all the new people I didn't know.

This morning I went to HR to get a new badge made. I have no idea what I did with my old one. Probably burned it b/c it was a horrible picture that I used to cover up with a sticker of a frog.

I have 4 groups on M&W, 5 on Fridays.

I have 3-4 kids in 3 of the Kindergarten groups. My fourth Kindergarten group is about 6 kids who only need help with rhyme. That will change based on phonics assessments. The teachers will decide what the next critical area is based on ongoing assessment and the group and focus will change.
On Fridays I'm there a little longer so I'll have a high first grade group to do a book study/literature circle with. There are 6 kids in that group right now all on the same level, about end of first grade level. We're doing Frog and Toad first. One of my favorites:)
So I'm working 9:30-12 on M&W and 9:30-12:30 on Fridays. Phil is dropping off the girls most M&W's so I can get in a little earlier and gather materials, plan ahead, etc. Then I pick up at 12:15. Actually my friend Jennifer is going to go ahead and get Mollie most days for me and go ahead and start lunch with Mollie and her little one Lindsay outside.
Krystina, our babysitter, will be dropping Sydney off and picking her up on Fridays and hanging out with Mollie so I won't be rushing to or from.

It all seems to be working out nicely, for the first day, haha. It was fun! Sounds weird to say it was fun, but it is!

0 comments: